Friday, January 6, 2012

house projects. live and learn...

My apologies for the delay in posting. With the holiday season everything seems to get crazy, and before I know it its January!

So, a few more crafty things to update on...
First, I finally printed pictures out for my fence wall decoration from last post! And we've been adding little details to the house as we go so I will update you on all of those things today too.

Here's the final result of the fence project:

I'm actually really pleased with it! Yes, they are all pictures of Shane and I from the wedding, but I couldn't help it...they turned out so great! Don't worry friends, I have a whole wall dedicated to you:


That's been a fun project too...our TV looked so bland up there by itself so I decided to make a little collage out of that wall! I'm happy with it so far, except my orchid isn't doing so well...

And finally, I know I've been updating via instagram, but I decided to work on a curtains project I found on this blog when I was bored one day. I've always wanted striped curtains, so I thought why not try it. 

I bought white curtains from ikea and bought black fabric from Joanns...I ended up using a really thick black fabric that is like canvas. I wanted to try the iron on stuff, to see if it worked, so after a few weeks of gathering materials (because Del Rio doesn't have ANYTHING, I had to go wait for Christmas in Dallas), I started.



I was under the impression that it wouldn't take very long because its iron on, however, it ended up being WAY to time consuming for the end result. 

I cut the black fabric into strips (which was difficult in itself) and followed the instructions for the iron on stuff to the T. It took around 5 hours to adhere 4 strips of black fabric to the white. I also got iron on hem tape to clean up the edges. 

The finished result: 

As you can see, they are pretty stiff...I know that was because of the material of the black. If I would've gone with a thinner black fabric I don't think it would've been a problem. It turned out well from afar, but when you get close a lot of the iron on didn't work, which I can assure you it wasn't for lack of following instructions. 
So, I've decided for the other three panels, I'm going to sew. Which will also have to wait until I go to Dallas at the beginning of February, because my mom is the only person I know with a sewing machine. I'll also go back over the first with sewing. 
I think it was a good lesson, but I think sewing is always the better option. That way if I need to get them dry cleaned it wont be a problem because I know they're sturdy. 

Lesson learned! 5 hours and about $30 of iron on materials wasted! 
I'll let you know in Feb. how the sewing goes, and if I lose any fingers :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment