Friday, November 2, 2012

I know caught up in the middle, I cry just a little-Flo Rida

Hey all... while Shane's at work I figured I'd use this time to brag on his excellent craftsmanship skills in the table-making-arena.

But first...a story:
I think we all have moments or periods in our life when its easy to forget the goodness of the Lord. And I'm talking generally. We get caught up in the middle of life and forget to stop and listen and see God in the small, so eventually we lose Him in the big. I heard this sermon by Bill Johnson (I can't remember the name) and he was talking about when we can't seeing God. He said that when we can't see God, we need to listen for Him...and if we can't hear him or see him, we need to remember Him. This is so GOOD. so good. Think about it: remembering the things and places the Lord has brought you out of, remembering the specific times where he was evident in your life...that leads us to hear him...and once we hear him again, we'll begin to see him again. So this is is a story to remember him.
All week Shane has been studying his rear off for this test he had today. And while he's studying really hard and stuff I'm like drawing or something really fun. Anyway, last night he was hittin it hard because the test was first thing this morning. I thought I would be a thoughtful wife and ask how the studying was coming along. He said he hoped he was studying the right material because he wasn't a very good test-taker. I just said something like "you can do it babe"...really motivating like. He finished up around midnight with his studies and we go to sleep.
This morning I woke up when Shane did because my neck was hurting, so I heated up my rice bag and went back to bed. Before I fell asleep I remembered that I should pray for him because his test was in a little bit. I don't remember everything I prayed but I do remember praying:
Jesus give Shane favor upon favor on his test today. We place the cross in between the repercussions of Shane speaking "I'm not a very good test-taker" and Shane. By the blood of Jesus we declare today that he is a good test-taker and we thank you for the good gifts you want to give us and ask that it would be a 100. That you would bless us with the gift of a 100! ...Then I fell back asleep and started drooling.
When I woke up Shane said he was coming home for his lunch break or whatever and I asked him "So how'd it go?"
"I got a 100..." 
Comeon! Remember. 

Okay now time to brag on Shane's $killz:
Well per usual I forgot to take pictures of every step...like I think I only have one or two pictures of the whole project, so it might make it look like it was easy, but for the layman, it was no easy task. But for my husband, piece uh' cake (in a mobster/italian pizzeria man voice).
We needed a dining room table because the table my sister Amber and her husband gave us did not make it through the move. We shopped for a while online and around here and all the tables we liked were like 5hundie and above. Uhm, no. So we decided to build one. Here's how it went:
Lots of time at Lowe's (like 4 hours...planning).
Buying the wood and transporting it home in my civic...from a local lumberyard. Good thing we didn't have far to travel.
Shane measuring, cutting, assembling, staining, and painting.
Me, painting and sitting or cooking.

We originally looked at this blog for the plan, which I love because she tells you exactly what you need etc., but we ended up going out on our own and starting from scratch.

Here's what I got:

As you can see Shane had already done a significant amount of work....

The bottom of it. TBA (to be attached).

               
the legs. Yepp they are for deck posts outside.

Finished building and sanding...now on to staining, sealing and painting...

After the stain and seal. He used wood filler in between the cracks so its a nice level surface. The top is distressed a little. We took chains and beat it up and made the edges a little rough.

I picked two colors because I wanted to distress it. So I painted yellow on the wood first. Let that dry then covered the yellow with green. 

Here's the table finished with paint. Now al that's left is distressing. I didn't get any pictures of that for some reason. So skip to the finished product:

You can only see the distressing a little because of the shadow. And let's be honest I'm too lazy to take another one in better lighting and upload it instead. 

The top all smooth and stuff.



It is finished. Now all we have to do is save up to get some pretty chairs to go with it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment